Here are some of my favorite journal prompts for self-discovery. It’s one of the many things that I do while trying to live authentically. If you are interested in learning all of the other ways I do this, check out my article on How to Stop Playing Small and Start Living Authentically. You can also find this episode available on my podcast!
You can stream the podcast here. Or on iTunes, Spotify, Google Play, Amazon, and Pocket Casts. You can also search for Root and Rise Podcast wherever you listen to podcasts.
Journal prompts for self-discovery and living authentically
Before you begin writing any journal prompts for self-discovery, take a moment and reflect on the person you want to become. Think about the person you would like to be (or wish you could be). Sometimes, there is someone who comes to mind for you – maybe a role model or somebody who has qualities that you really admire. Hold onto that image of yourself as you work through these journal prompts.
Your True Self
- What do you need or want more of in your life?
- And what do you think it would feel like to have what you want?
Ex: Liberating, free, or whole.
- How do you think it will feel in your body?
Ex: Light, open, or relaxed.
- How would you walk, talk, or hold your body if you showed up in this way?
Ex: Confident, strong, or vulnerable.
- How would you act?
- What daily habits would you have?
- How can you start to incorporate these habits into your life now?
- What things are you not doing that you wish you could?
What’s Holding You Back
- Why are you not living in the way that you want to?
- Where are you repeating behaviors? Or just doing what you have always done?
- In what ways is this keeping you from growing?
- How can you do things your own way?
- Think of negative experiences you’ve had. How can you reframe that negative experiences into something positive?
Ex: It showed me my strength, taught me a new coping skill, etc.
Your Support System
- Think of the people in your inner circle…
- How do they impact the way you move in this world?
- Can you be your authentic self around them?
- How do they make you feel?
- Who makes you feel the most empowered, supported, and accepted?
- What causes you stress?
- And what makes you feel peaceful?
- What makes you insecure?
- And what makes you feel empowered?
- How do you see yourself in a year, if you have achieved what you want?
- What are three steps you can take in order to start living the life you want to live?
- And what is one small step you can take today to get closer to that?
- What are 5 things you admire about yourself?
- How can those qualities help you achieve what you want?
- What do you envy in other people?
- How can you channel that in your own life?
I talked a lot about this in my article on How to Stop Playing Small and Start Living Authentically. Reflect on your journal prompts. And the image that you have in your head of the person you are working to become. Now, be that person. Sounds too easy, right? But, the only thing holding you back from being who you want to be is you.
If you want to become this person, you have to start showing up as them. Start those daily habits. Wear those clothes. Act the way you said you would act in that position. This is the law of attraction. The more of this energy that you put out into the universe, the more of it that will come back to you. You will attract that back into your life.
Journal Prompts for Self-Discovery and Following Your Dreams
If all you gain from this article is one thing, I hope that it’s this… your soul is pointing you in the direction you are meant to go – it’s your road map. This vision or passion that you have is calling for you. Are you going to ignore that? The choice is yours.
When you are ready to start following that, go check out my article on Following Your Dreams. And make sure to contact me and keep me updated on your journey!
Bonus Gift from Me!
Here are my go-to positive affirmations for self-discovery and living authentically. Pick one or two that really call to you. And repeat it to yourself throughout the day. I recommend doing it every time you go into the bathroom and see yourself in the mirror.
- I can live life wholeheartedly.
- If I can see it, it’s already mine.
- My soul is pointing me in the direction I am meant to go – it’s my road map.
- I can change what has always been.
- Anything I desire is possible
- I can write my own rules.
You’ve Got a Friend in Me
Connect with me on Instagram or TikTok to hear more tips!
Check out these articles:
- What No One Tells You About Pregnancy
- Pregnancy, Labor, and Delivery – Becoming A Mother Series
- What No One Tells You About Postpartum